Study a Postgraduate Diploma in Public Management
Faculty of Economics and Management Sciences
School of Public Management and Administration
Plan description: PGDip (Public Management)
Plan code: 07220041
Minimum duration of study: 2 years
This qualification has been designed to provide and enhance the service-oriented professional development of aspiring and/or existing senior management service public officials in the field of public management, by acting as agents of change and by playing a meaningful role in policy and strategy formulation and implementation. The qualification aims to regularise the professional development of public officials through a uniform and standardised management and leadership programme aligned to the management competencies, so that they may improve their performance and productivity in the public sector, and contribute to meeting the national developmental goals of the country. The National School of Government as the official training arm of government responsible for the education and training of public officials gives recognition to this qualification as a public sector-specific qualification.
The qualification will assist students to develop a thorough knowledge of:
- Solving public management problems through innovation and creativity for the public good;
- Strategic thinking and implementation capability;
- Financial management and budgeting according to public service prescripts;
- Teamwork, team leadership, and partnership development and maintenance;
- Personal responsibility and self-motivation as a characteristic of a senior manager; and
- Identifying and addressing ethical issues and behaviour in the public sector.